Aromatic Scrying is a sense-inspired way to honor the phase of the moon, and dive deeply within yourself to discover what this phase of the moon means for you.
Scrying is an ancient approach to visioning. Seers would fill a basin of water, and peer into its reflection, making meaning of any imagery found there. Some saw the future. Some found inspiration and guidance.
Aromatic Scrying introduces essential oils into the mix by incorporating a wonderful “aromatic steam”. We will be adding steamy water and essential oils that I’ve chosen for this moon phase into the scrying bowl; inhaling the vapors into our bodies, and absorbing them into our skin and hair.
The time in the steam will feel like a mini sweat lodge experience. The oils will alter and inspire you, as will the warmth of the steam. Once you are done “steaming”, you will simply remove the towel or blanket from over your head, and then settle into gazing at the water.
Make meaning of what you see.
The Virgo New Moon:
Of all of the many interpretations of Virgo (the fastidious, the perfectionist, the hyper-organized), my favorite is the Vestal Virgin. Virgo reminds us that we have the capacity for infinite new beginnings, a myriad of opportunities to clear the slate and start again.
On this Virgo New Moon, we can look to the essential oils of Rosemary and Eucalyptus. Both of these essential oils have a “clearing” effect to the sinuses and upper respiratory tract. They also clear and freshen the mind, uplift emotions and move any sort of stagnation out of the way.
For this Aromatic scrying session, harness the energy of Virgo and these essential oils to help you establish a “clean slate”. Just like all of the Virgos who are happily cleaning out their garages and attics, sorting through their closets and filing cabinets, and cleaning up their gardens to prepare for Autumn, let the energy of the New Moon help you sort through the stuff that’s no longer useful or needs to be transformed. The refreshing qualities of Rosemary and Eucalyptus essential oils will help you think clearly, making the choices of what stays and what goes a lot easier.
As you gaze into the scrying bowl, ask to see what needs to be cleared away to allow for newness. What have you outgrown? What belongs to other people? What are you tired of tripping over? What are you “going to get to someday” but never do?
Let the energy of the Virgo New Moon help you let go of what no longer serves you.
Let the qualities of the Rosemary and Eucalyptus essential oils clear anything in the way of your next steps along your Path.
- Dark colored thick bowl, slightly larger than the diameter of your face.
- Heavy towel or blanket
- Steamy water
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) & Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) essential oils
- Begin with your breath. Inhaling neutral/clean energy. Exhaling everything distracting you.
- Ground yourself, so that you feel stable, connected and holding unwavering space.
- Feel yourself as safe.
- Begin with a comfortable table and chair.
- Drape your towel or blanket over the back of the chair, so that it’s easy to drape over your head.
- Place a bowl of steamy water on the table so that you can easily bend over it.
- Set you intention for this scrying session.
- Add 1 drop of Rosemary EO and 1 drop of Eucalyptus EO to the water.
- Keeping your eyes closed, lean over the bowl and drape the blanket over your head.
- Begin taking breaths of the aromatic steam, deepening your breaths as you can. You might cough a little at first.
- Continue until the steam has cooled.
- Remove the blanket from your head
- Turn off any lights that you have on. You want to be in mostly darkness, or in the light of a candle.
- Open your eyes, and gaze into the water.
- Give yourself several minutes to relax, and see what comes to you.
- Make meaning of what you see, and apply it to your Virgo New Moon intentions.
Give thanks to all of the energies that supported you doing this, whether it’s your family leaving you alone for some quiet time, or the coyotes that howled in the distance, or the earth floating between the sun and moon creating the blessed dark.
Thanks for reading! I wish you a magnificent new moon cycle!